Current as of 18 November 2015
The Export Market Development Grants (EMDG) Scheme is a Government assistance programme for small to medium businesses.
Our EMDG recipients report that the scheme is invaluable in helping them access new markets and develop better international business and cultural understanding. Below are the facts on what can be claimed and how you access the concessions.
Who can apply?
An Australian business that has:
- Promoted the export of goods or services
- Promoted certain services in Australia to non-residents
- Promoted inbound tourism
- Promoted the export of intellectual property and know-how outside Australia
- An income of less than $50 million
- Spent at least $15,000 on eligible export promotional activities
What can be claimed?
- Overseas representation expenses
- Marketing consultant expenses
- Marketing visit expenses
- Communication expenses
- Free sample expenses
- Trade fairs, seminars, in-store promotion expenses
- Promotional literature and advertising expenses
- Overseas buyer expenses
- Registration and/or insurance of eligible intellectual property expenses
What do you get?
- Up to 50% reimbursement of expenses, less the first $5,000
- Up to $150,000 per grant, to a maximum of eight annual grants (first year applicants can include two years of expenditure)
- The grants are assessable income
- GST will not apply to EMDG scheme grants
What can’t be claimed?
- Relate to trade with New Zealand, Iran or North Korea
- Are of a capital nature
- Relate to sales or product development
- Are fraudulent, unsubstantiated or relate to an illegal activity
How to apply?
- Go to the website austrade.gov.au/Export/Export-Grants and select “How to apply”
- Alternatively phone Austrade on 13 28 78
When to apply?
- For the 30 June 2015 year you need to complete and submit your online application by 30 November
- Alternatively use an approved EMDG consultant who can lodge your claim up until 29 February. We can help you with a referral in this regard.
Feel free to contact us if you need more information about concessions for exporting.
THIS NEWSLETTER HAS BEEN PRODUCED BY STANLEY & WILLIAMSON AS A SERVICE TO ITS CLIENTS AND ASSOCIATES. THE INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THE NEWSLETTER IS OF GENERAL COMMENT ONLY AND IS NOT INTENDED TO BE ADVICE ON ANY PARTICULAR MATTER. BEFORE ACTING ON ANY AREAS CONTAINED IN THIS NEWSLETTER, IT IS IMPERATIVE YOU SEEK SPECIFIC ADVICE RELATING TO YOUR PARTICULAR CIRCUMSTANCES.
LIABILITY LIMITED BY A SCHEME APPROVED UNDER PROFESSIONAL STANDARDS LEGISLATION.